A bridal makeup artist is one of the first people you'll see as you prepare yourself the day of your wedding. She will work with you and your hair stylist to create the radiant look you want and make it last all day! So, what should you expect from your wedding makeup artist?
- Choose a bridal makeup artist that offers a consultation trial run: as part of the package (this can happen months or weeks before your wedding). You don't want any surprises the day of the wedding and this eliminates that possibility! This is your opportunity to ask questions about your wedding day makeup, discuss wedding details such as colors of your flowers and attendants dresses, and to have your makeup done. In this consultation, we have the flexibility to make adjustments and changes until you are completely delighted with how you look. As your wedding makeup artist, I will listen to what you like and make suggestions. The proof is in the application. I begin lightly and make changes as we go along. Your final look should always be a collaboration between you and your wedding makeup artist.
- Choose a bridal makeup artist who goes to where you're getting ready the day of your wedding (expect the same from your hairstylist!).
- Choose a bridal makeup artist who respects your choices about how you want to look on your wedding day. Do you want a natural glow or a more glamorous touch? The pre-wedding consultation is the time to be sure you get the look you want.
- Be cautious about having your hairstylist offer to do your makeup as well as your hair. At the very least, this is generally not time-efficient and more important, they are rarely professionally trained as wedding makeup artists (which is part of the reason their pricing is so low) — hair is their area of expertise. I can't tell you the number of times that a bride has called me in a panic because her makeup trial session with her hairstylist was a fiasco (it's one of the reasons a pre-wedding consultation is critical). You want to choose someone whose area of expertise is wedding day makeup.
- Choose a wedding makeup artist who has a calm demeanor. The last thing you need on your wedding day is a frenzied makeup artist! Staying relaxed to enjoy the preparations is part of the joy of your day.